Re: [Evolution] Wot? No spam filters? was Re: evolution-list Digest, Vol 116, Issue 8

There are other odd things going on with Evolution that I don't
understand.  I tried deselecting Standard Plugins and the "Bayesian
Spam Filter" options in Ubuntu Software Centre.  The mouse pointer
turns to a timer while the "changes are applied", but Edit/Plugins
from the Evolution menu shows nothing has changed.  Making these
changes and re-starting my system makes no difference either: the
option boxes I cleared appear checked again in Ubuntu Software Centre,
so something's  not right.

That is to do with Ubuntu packaging and not really an Evolution issue in
that Evolution can have no control over what's happening with external
software managers.

I am at a loss to understand why Evolution - which has worked pretty
much perfectly ever since I moved over to Ubuntu nearly a decade ago -
should suddenly start falling over.  Has the age-old engineering maxim
"if it works, don't mess with it" has been disregarded?

Again, this is to do with the decisions made my Ubuntu.  The same
version of Evolution is absolutely stable in other distros - there's
certainly no systematic problem with Evolution.  I get the impression
though that some one or some group of people have fallen out of love
with Evo in the Ubuntu camp - I don't particularly think there is a
conspiracy against it, but I think it's not the most important thing on
their mind.

As to why the change, well much of it is led by the users - they want
new features, they want Evo to interact with new services, they see
features in other MUAs that they want Evo to copy, but most of all they
want Evo to keep up with security and privacy best practices.  So
Evolution has to keep, err, evolving.

P.

ps - Replying to list digests is frowned on around here.  It breaks the
threading and creates stupid subject lines.  This isn't a high volume
list, so there isn't much reason to use a digest, but if you do, could
you turn on the Mime digest so you can reply to individual messages and
all the threading information is retained.