Re: [Evolution] trying to set up smart card crashes evolution

On Tue, 2015-06-30 at 08:24 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
On Mon, 2015-06-29 at 21:55 +0200, ultraviolett2 arcor de wrote:
I cannot reproduce the crash with latest version (3.16.2.1-1). When
open the signing/encrypting certificate nothing is offered, where
Thunderbird still works. What can I do to find out the reason?

      Hi,
one of my coworkers found some steps to make the smart-card reader
work. Even though it is for an ancient system and evolution, it may
be
still relevant in some parts. I cannot test it, I do not have a smart
card, but it worked for him.

Citation follows:

1) evolution now uses standard combo of system sql:/etc/pki/nssdb and
user sql:$HOME/.pki/nssdb databases
2) evolution runs as regular user but nss tools (modutil, nss-gui)
remove read access from /etc/pki/nssdb/pkcs11.txt. The net result is
that evolution is unaware of the module unless the permissions are
back
to 0644 or the module is added to user's database as well
3) evolution only reads certificates upon it's start so you have to
restart evo after you plug the card in

So the steps for coolkey-based cards are:
1) (as root) add coolkey module to your nssdb:
# modutil -dbdir sql:/etc/pki/nssdb -add "CoolKey PKCS#11 Module"
-libfile /usr/lib64/pkcs11/libcoolkeypk11.so
2) (as root) fix the file permissions again:
# chmod 0644 /etc/pki/nssdb/pkcs11.txt
3) plug in the reader & card if you haven't done so yet
4) restart evolution
5) go to Preferences - Certificates and you should see the
certificates
that reside on the smartcard

      Bye,
      Milan

Awesome! I have been looking for this exact fix!

JM