Re: [Evolution] bogofilter integration

On Wed, 2015-01-14 at 17:36 +0100, Milan Crha wrote:
I would revert part, or whole, commit [1]. If I read it properly, then
the only reason is to get the bogofilter path during configure,
instead of having it hard-coded.

Well, life is never simple.  It looks like after the change you pointed
me to, Milan, in Evo 3.8 or so, Matthew completely removed the
"unavailable" function from the bogofilter plugin:

https://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution/commit/?id=c539a9ec20f46

This latest change works well for private builds but from the standpoint
of a distribution / package maintainer, assuming that the software
available on the build system is also always available on the runtime
system is a problem (unless you're willing to forcibly require all the
plugin packages to be installed along with the software, in which case
it's not really a plugin anymore :-)!)

IMO it would be better to revert this change, but it's not clear to me
what exactly the problematic behavior was that caused the change.

Ideally you'd have something where the "plugin unavailable" could give
some kind of reason.

So, in the Evo plugins dialog if Evo is compiled with bogofilter support
but no bogofilter is found, you would see a greyed out "Junk filter
using Bogofilter" that is not selectable and an extra statement (hover
popup?) saying "Install bogofilter to enable".

Don't know how feasible this is.