Re: [Evolution] Evolution not starting (SanthanaKrishnan)

Hi :)
Ubuntu is a very popular system and widely known outside in the wider
world so it might be easier for your software providers to support.
So it might well be a good choice.

However Ubuntu does have a very different Desktop Environment (=DE) so
it looks very different from what you are used to.  It is fairly easy
to give it an extremely similar DE to the one you use in Fedora but it
still works quite a bit differently "under the bonnet".  Not as big as
the difference between any 2 versions of Windows but still fairly
different.

It would be MUCH better to simply upgrade to Fedora 20 or to their
"Rawhide" (which will probably become 21 eventually).

The difference between Ubuntu and Fedora mentioned in my 2nd paragraph
should not be a huge problem for your software providers.  Most of the
programs are the same in both.  The main difference for them might be
that on a command-line they have to use;

sudo yum install libreoffice

instead of

sudo apt-get install libreoffice

Ok, so LibreOffice is a bad example because it's used in both Fedora
and Ubuntu.  Also i am not sure if it's "yum" in Fedora but it gives
an idea of how slight the difference is.

You can test-drive Fedora 20 using a "LiveCd" or "LiveUsb" or by
installing on 1 system as a dual-boot alongside the existing Fedora
14.  I usually have a dual-boot system with one partition being the
older system jic i can't work out how to do something on the newer
system.

https://getfedora.org/

https://getfedora.org/en_GB/workstation/download/

Many regards from