Re: [Evolution] Restore of Evolution 3.10.4

On Sun, 2015-12-06 at 12:12 -0800, pequod wrote:
Linux Mint 17.2
Cinnamon 2.6
Evolution 3.10.4

Called up Evolution, missing Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, and Memos.
Tried Restore from my latest saved backup.
The only success was Contacts. The others are vacant which means I'm
missing significant data.
Tried Restore again using the backup immediately previous to the
latest.
No change.

Aside from being miffed, I'm also thinking that I'm missing something
here (operator error, etc.).
I'm not understanding.

        Hi,
not a standard thing, but I would try with a fresh user and try a
manual restore from the backup.

It can be done by running the
   /usr/libexec/evolution/evolution-backup --gui --restore $FILENAME
but it requires to have the background processes stopped too (which is
not so easy for example under GNOME Shell, which keeps restarting
evolution-calendar-factory on its own). The actual place of the
evolution-backup binary can be different in your distribution.

A more complicated way of a manual restore is to unpack the backup
manually and rewrite only relevant files, not the whole setup. The
disadvantage is that you do not get everything and some parts can be
incomplete. The process looks like:
a) run evolution for the first time
b) enter Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Memos views and add one item to
each of these.
c) close the evolution, ideally log out and log into a text terminal
(make sure none evolution processes are running in the background; the
`ps ax | grep evolution` might be helpful).
d) the data for On This Computer sources are stored under
~/.local/share/evolution/{mail|contacts|calendar|tasks|memos}
You can find similar structure in the backup file as well. Simply
rewrite files inside those folders, and then log into the graphical UI
and run the evolution. You should see your locally stored
events/tasks/memos/contacts there.

I think that what you face is a problem with the restore and the
background processes, which were not reloaded/restarted properly, thus
they still provide "old" content. There used to be such issue in the
past, possibly in the time of your old version of the evolution.
        Bye,
        Milan