Re: [Evolution] Upgrade Evolution outside of Ubuntu mechanism

On Wed, 2015-03-25 at 19:39 +0100, Milan Crha wrote:
On Wed, 2015-03-25 at 09:55 -0700, Tim Wescott wrote:
- Is there a binary, or should I build?
- Where should I get source?
- What configuration parameters should I give so that Bogofilter
  will work?

It occurs to me that perhaps the safest thing to do would be to
install the source for Evolution 10.3.whatever from the Ubuntu
repository, then look around here to find out what flag it is you
need to set to tell Evolution to please use Bogofilter, then build.

        Hi,
please do not take this as an expertise guidance, it's just an idea
how to make things easier for you.

I agree with you to use your distribution's package as the starter.
Better to not get into a dependency hell. Install necessary
development packages, like if you'd like to build whole evolution,
together with the evolution's itself development package. Do not
install any source packages.

The trick is that the bogofilter module is only a module, just few KB
binary plus some GSettings/GConf definitions (which are always
installed) and nothing else. No need to compile evolution for it, if
you can use the development packages.

I wish this list would send you your own posts -- then you could respond
to them when it's appropriate.  I suppose you could also then easily get
into some sort of automatic response hell (Hi, I'm currently out of the
office ...).

At any rate, no sooner had I sent mail saying that this solution wasn't
junking mail -- than it started up!  Whoopie!  It works!

I do have to do the usual new Bogofilter training thing, where now that
it's junking mail I need to be diligent about checking for _good_ mail
-- but I can live with that, oh yes I can!

--

Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com