Re: [Evolution] Broken threading

Dear G. W.,

Am Samstag, den 25.10.2014, 15:52 +0100 schrieb G.W. Haywood:

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014, Paul Menzel wrote:

It?d be great if you followed the netiquette! ...

I've read Mr. Raymond, thank you, and it'd be great if people didn't
make unjustified and incorrect assumptions.  As you have seen I keep
the subject line intact.  I properly trim and quote.  The lines I send
are less than 76 characters long.  Although I can be a bit caustic I
don't abuse people and I try to stay on topic.  My sig follows after a
double hyphen and is less than four lines.

as Pete pointed out, you also need to add a space afterward. Currently
Evolution does not remove it automatically.

Oh, and if anyone cares, I don't send UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1 (especially
not in 'From' headers - and no, Mr. Menzel, despite your use of UTF-8
that wasn't directed at you :).

Thank you for the pointer. ;-) I did not find this rule in “How To Ask
Questions The Smart Way” [1]. Do you mean that write-up? I personally
prefer the written down netiquette at openSUSE [2]. But it does not
mention character encoding (and breaking threading) either.

This list is like a pit full of vipers.  I've seen people come here
for help, and go away so bruised by the experience they completely
give up on Evolution and never come back.  I'd like to put you all in
a bag and shake it until teeth fall out.  Netiquette?  The myopia here
is truly staggering.  Flame a first time poster because he didn't know
what his version number was, nor even that he had one, but for pity's
sake do *not* mess up the threading.

One of the responses to my earlier comments was that if the thread is
broken he would consider ignoring it.  That might be rational on some
other lists, but since this one is _devoted_ to problems with a mail
client, it seems rather stupid.  It's like my doctor refusing to treat
me for laryngitis if I can't speak clearly to explain what's wrong.

I like your analogies. Anyway, I guess if you try to help on this list
and get the impression that the poster did not do her/his homework and
expects only free support, you’ll get upset.

One of the posters to the earlier thread was kind enough to write for
me a little alpine-digest-list-threading-HOWTO.  He talked about using
'V' to view the message attachment.  Well, there go those assumptions
again.  Unluckily he neglected to test his theory, which is all that
it was.  Pointless noise.

Judging from the other responses, MIME formatted digests are needed for
that to work. And in my opinion, it is a lot to ask to install another
MUA, Alpine in that case, and configure it to test the theory.

You see, there are no attachments on the Evolution users' digest list.

And you, Mr. Menzel, knowing I'm on the digest list, sent this: