Re: [Evolution] Broken threading (was: Restoring data to new HDD)

My sig follows after a
double hyphen and is less than four lines.

err, it should be "-- " - the space is important.

This list is like a pit full of vipers.

This list is actually quite a peaceful one - I've seen (and been bitten
by) lists a lot more caustic to people than this.

  Flame a first time poster because he didn't know
what his version number was, nor even that he had one,

I've never seen anyone be flamed for that - people are usually asked to
supply their version number because Evo changes quite rapidly and the
version number is important to be able to help people properly.  If
people took the simple step of reading a week's posts before sending
something themselves, then they would know that it's something that is
required (but that seems to be beyond most people these days).

 but for pity's
sake do *not* mess up the threading.

It is important in order to keep topics together - and, just as
important, to separate out different topics (which is why people grouch
when someone replies to a thread and changes the subject).

Actually, what winds *ME* up most about this list is that nobody ever
seems to search or read the archives.  The repeat questions are when I
tend to give abrupt answers.

One of the posters to the earlier thread was kind enough to write for
me a little alpine-digest-list-threading-HOWTO.  He talked about using
'V' to view the message attachment.  Well, there go those assumptions
again.  Unluckily he neglected to test his theory, which is all that
it was.  Pointless noise.

Flamed for trying to help ...

You see, there are no attachments on the Evolution users' digest list.

Perhaps you have your digests set to plain text - have you tried
enabling MIME digests?

If someone wants to put some effort into improving the list software
of course I'll be happy to help in testing it, but as I've said before
I'm on the digest list for good reasons.  Now you've seen one of them.

I'm sorry if this is "pointless noise" since it's a long time since I
have used a digest, but I thought there was a way in Evo of replying to
individual messages in a digest such that the threading and subject were
retained.  There was certainly talk of such an option being in the
right-click menu.  Is it something that has fallen by the wayside? Is it
only possible with MIME formatted digests?

P.