Re: [Evolution] Evolution performance

On Mon, 2014-05-26 at 10:28 -0400, Reid Vail wrote:
Hello group-
I have a performance question:
My wife is running ubuntu 13.04 with Evolution 3.6.4 and it seems to
me that it takes a long time to load; about 30 seconds from start to
load
She does have quite a lot of data.  Using the Evolution backup tool
the compressed file is about 1gig.  Her machine is not stellar but
should be sufficient.  She has a standard 7200-rpm drive and a AMD
Athlon II X3 processor.  When I watch on the system monitor the CPU
isn't working that hard, memory is fine, but the HD light is on solid
until software and data load.
Does this seem right?

Does she have lots of local mail?  [as in: downloaded from POP
accounts].

At some point Evolution changed from using [by default] MBox format for
local mail to Maildir - I do not recall what version that was - but that
can result in a big performance improvement as with MBox every folder is
one file [all messages in a single file].  If you can either upgrade or
just move her local accounts to Maildir that might help.

Another thing to try is to just purge the cache
[~/.cache/evolution/mail/ in current versions; I don't know what 3.6.x
used, there is a wiki pages about versions and their data directories].

A third thing is that while many applications use sqlite many did not
[or do not] vacuum their databases which results in slow performance and
file bloat.  These are the files that end in
".db" [find .local/share/evolution -name *.db]. See
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com/2011/11/all-those-sqlite-databases.html>  I do not believe this is a
problem with current versions of evolution; but 3.6.x is *old*.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383