Re: [Evolution] Setup bogofilter or spamassassin

On Tue, 2014-05-06 at 08:57 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
Is there some kind of build option for Evolution that might disable
support for Bogofilter?  Or some runtime option I need to select, or
package that I might need to install, before I can see it (I do have
bogofilter itself installed).

How does Evolution decide what junk filtering options to show in that
preferences dialog?

Since I wrote it...

Evolution checks for the bogofilter and spamassassin programs at build
time.  These dependencies are optional, but they have to be explicitly
disabled with configure options, otherwise the configure script fails.

    --disable-bogofilter or --disable-spamassassin

Assuming they're both enabled, they're installed as extension modules
under $(libdir)/evolution/3.x/modules.  The extension modules register
themselves with Evolution upon loading, which is how they get listed in
Preferences.

Different distros package these modules differently.

Since they carry extra dependencies, in Fedora we split these modules
into subpackages: evolution-bogofilter and evolution-spamassassin.

In Debian, both bogofilter and spamassassin modules are included in the
"libevolution" package:

    https://packages.debian.org/sid/i386/libevolution/filelist

However in Ubuntu, the "libevolution" package only includes the
spamassassin module:

    http://packages.ubuntu.com/utopic/i386/libevolution/filelist

So Ubuntu is apparently disabling Bogofilter support in Evolution, even
though they do ship Bogofilter.  Worth a bug report.

Matthew Barnes