Re: [Evolution] Request advice on how to work around total failure of Evolution

On Wed, 2014-03-19 at 09:49 +0000, e-mail shaky.start wrote:
I find myself in a quasi-Catch-22 situation: I moved from Ubuntu 12.04
to Mint 16 Xfce yesterday, having made sure my Evolution client was
fully backed up under Ubuntu. Evolution under Mint 16 Xfce 32 bit
doesn't work at all - it crashes upon the first keystroke or mouse
action after being started.

My experience is probably irrelevant for you, but I thought I would tell
you about it.

I was running Fedora 17 and evolution 3.0.3 under it worked fine.  I
upgraded to Fedora 20, and under it evolution 3.10.4 can't receive mail
from my email server.  (Thunderbird and balsa have no problem.)   There
is an extensive bug report about problems with that version of
evolution, and they apparently think they have resolved it.  But the
latest version does not work for me.  I tried  everything, but nothing I
do does any good.  It is very frustrating.

Bug Report #129437 has been submitted along with stack trace data.

In the meantime I can use web-mail but I cannot access any of the
important emails that are stored by my Evolution email client and
which are currently 'locked' within the back-up file. I cannot even
migrate to Thunderbird because I cannot export my emails in mbox
format until Evolution is running - in which case I wouldn't need to
migrate to T'bird....  I don't expect an early resolution to this bug
(not within the next 3 to 6 months I guess)

Any advice on a work around? Is there any other app. which will
understand Evolution's back-up file format?

AAH