[Evolution] Evolution stopped showing reminders before start of appointment.

I used to set a custom reminder on my appointments to pop up an alert 2
days before start of appointment and to be repeated 6 extra times every 8
hours. It worked for me for last 7 years without a glitch.

About 3-4 months ago this behaviour changed. No one reminder shows up
before appointment as requested. Instead all expected 6 reminders pop up
on the day of the actual appointment as soon as I boot my system,
independently of the time of the appointment.

I experience the same problem under Debian Wheezy (GNOME Classic) -
Evolution 3.4.4, Ubuntu 14.10 (Unity) and Xubuntu 14.10 - Evolution
3.10.4.

I spent endless time on google without any results. There are a lot of
screaming about Evolution reminder problems, neither one is exactly as
mine, and no one reported a solution to any of the problems I've read
about. I posted the problem on Debian list and get a complete silence in
response - like nobody ever heard about Evolution, or everybody is
totally happy with it, which I, after googling for over a month, doubt.

Can anyone help with this, please? Boy, are the GNOME folks on special
mission to destroy everything that has been achieved so far? Evolution
has been such a nice PIM.