Re: [Evolution] Evolution stopped showing reminders before start of appointment.

On Mon, 2014-06-30 at 21:45 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

I experience the same problem under Debian Wheezy (GNOME Classic) -
Evolution 3.4.4, Ubuntu 14.10 (Unity) and Xubuntu 14.10 - Evolution
3.10.4.

        Hi,
the evolution-alarm-notify process is taking care of reminders. There
didn't change much in it during the time of your versions and the
current stable version 3.12.3 (the 3.10.4 is half year old). There was
done one change, the evolution-alarm-notify process is ensured to be
running when the evolution is run, which wasn't the case for couple
releases.

There could break couple things, at least according to my experience.
To name a few:

- if the calendar needs authentication, then the process can sometimes
fail to get a password due to issues to connect to gnome-keyring or
similar issue, thus it fails to open the calendar

- the evolution-alarm-notify process stopped running for some reason

- the evolution-alarm-notify process failed to connect to
evolution-source-registry, thus it doesn't know about your calendars,
which can also happen when the evolution-source-registry crashes (not a
case of 3.4.x, this process had been added in time of 3.6.x)

- the calendar is not set for Reminders at
Edit->Preferences->Calendars and Tasks->reminders tab (obviously not
your case).

There might be probably more reasons, more or less similar, but these
are which I recalled right now. There usually helped to restart the
evolution-alarm-notify process, which then reconnected to other
processes and usually was able to open the calendars.

I have configured an On The Web calendar with reminders which is not
authenticated and I've got the reminders so far. I use git master,
though it's pretty much the same as 3.12.x in this part.

Can anyone help with this, please? Boy, are the GNOME folks on
special mission to destroy everything that has been achieved so far?
Evolution has been such a nice PIM.

I hope it still is and will be :) There is an effort to make it better
during the time, but it sometimes brings in also new bugs or
regressions.

        Bye,
        Milan