Re: [Evolution] '--file' option?

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 3:41 PM, Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:
On Mon, 2014-02-24 at 11:07 +0100, Leon Zawodowiec wrote:
> Is it possible to open email files (.eml) from command line with
> Evolution, the same like a new email? The problem occurs when recoll
> returns a search result (which is a file in a filesystem) and
> Evolution doesn't support anything like '--file' to open it like
> regular message.
>
> Is it possible to do it in current release or take into account in
> future releases of Evolution?

"xdg-open ~/whatever.eml" allows you to import emails into Evolution.
Emails are normally attached to an email account and Evolution is meant
to manage such email accounts, hence it offers you importing "outside"
emails via the Import UI.
I don't see a large usecase for your example but patches are welcome.

This is a very common scenario in corporate use, many people save important email messages (ie a proposal from a subcontractor that you used in your own offer, etc.)  for future reference on a certain project folder, rather than keeping them in an archive.

So yes, it would be very good if Evo could do it. I think kmail can do it as well as Outlook and Thunderbird.

PS. This may be related to my inability to open emails attached to other emails in a separate window.