Re: [Evolution] evolution 3.10.3 unable to retrieve a message from zimbra imap, thunderbird has no problems.

On Sat, 2014-02-01 at 11:06 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
'
[imapx:M] camel_imapx_write: 'M00080 UID FETCH 280 (BODY.PEEK[]<40960.20480>)
'
[imapx:M] camel_imapx_write: 'M00079 UID FETCH 280 (BODY.PEEK[]<20480.20480>)
'
[imapx:M] camel_imapx_write: 'M00077 UID FETCH 280 (BODY.PEEK[]<0.20480>)
'
[imapx:M] camel_imapx_read: buffer is '* 15 FETCH (UID 280 )
'
[imapx:M] camel_imapx_read: buffer is '* BYE zimbra.example.com Zimbra IMAP4rev1 server closing connection

That to me looks as though it's the Zimbra server closing the
connection.  Do you have access to the server?  If so, can you see any
errors on there?

I have a few accounts on a Zimbra server and I've never had any problems
with them - but they are low volume accounts.

No, I don't have access to this particular server.

The most intriguing part is that after downloading the same message with
thunderbird it was happily downloaded by evolution a moment later.
Reproduced on several more messages with large attachments. Access via
thunderbird consistently opens the door for evolution 3.10.3

Is it only messages with large attachments?  How large is large?

Reliably reproducible on all messages with a 3-4 meg photo attached.

How
does the debug log differ between attempts on the same message before
and after intervention by Thunderbird?

how would it help?

Have you tried looking on the Zimbra forums?

All works with thunderbird. I can't really see a point of bothering
other forums. Is there a way to get more debugging?

This is well beyond my understanding. Thunderbird has been code frozen
for several years, evolution is in active development and still keeps
exhibiting errors.

For Thunderbird being code frozen, they still manage to come up with a
large number of releases!  Seriously though, I think Evolution
developers are trying to implement new features to take advantage of
enhanced servers - sure, many would like some stability, but it comes at
a cost in being perceived as lagging behind more modern software - it's
a balance.

It is generally not a good idea to complain about free software but
after using evolution for more years than I care to remember I am
finding myself avoiding it more and more. Evolution calendar does not
work with zarafa while thunderbird lighting works, indefinite network
timeouts, etc. Integration with GNOME and mail forward as redirect are
two of the convenient features that keep me locked in.