Re: [Evolution] Evolution dies when I try to add a contact

On Thu, 2014-12-18 at 10:20 -0800, Tim Wescott wrote:
I think my contacts list is corrupted.  It's been messy since forever --
I carried it forward through several revisions of Thunderbird, then
exported it & imported it to Evolution when I switched, and then carried
it forward through several revisions of Evolution.

But now things are really bad:

I'm trying to add a contact to my mailing list.  When I hit "OK",
Evolution closes.

When I run Evolution from the command line, it sends up the following
smoke signal:

(evolution:2696): evolution-util-ERROR **:
eab-contact-duplicate-detected.ui: Invalid type function on line 88:
'eab_contact_display_get_type'
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

Is it obvious what the problem is?  Is there something I can do about
this?

Well, I found part of the answer by accident: I tried sending mail to
the person by hand-typing their email.  It showed up as being under an
entirely different name in my address book.  I deleted that entry (which
had bits and bobs of other people's address book entries from
Thunderbird), then I could enter the correct one.

In future, if I can remember, looking up an entry by email address may
work, at least to tell me where the corrupted entry is.

--

Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com