Re: [Evolution] SSL Heartbleed Patch Causes Evolution to Fail

On Fri, 2014-04-11 at 19:37 -0400, Marc Hurst wrote:
Yesterday, my ISP applied an SSL Patch for "the heartbleed problem".
Although I am not using SSL, the patch caused Evolution to fail on all 3
of my computers.

I press "Send and Receive", A dialog box says "Receiving message 1 of
XXX". After a very long wait, eventually I Evolution gives an error
message "Failed to receive message xxxxxxxxxxxxx: Unknown reason."

I've had to switch to Icedove. Evolution no longer works with my ISP.

Has anyone else had this problem?

IMHO this is unlikely to be caused by the Heartbleed fix. AFAIK the
patch to fix OpenSSL doesn't affect normal SSL operation in any way and
is completely transparent to well-behaved clients (i.e. those not trying
to hack the server). I don't know of any other reports of client-side
failure (not just of Evo but of anything else) due to this.

The failure could be related to the ISP restarting its servers, or
blocking their customers' accounts until they change their password, or
them making some other change at the same time, or to something
completely unrelated.

poc