Re: [Evolution] outgoing mails file/folder in newer versions

i use a shell script to generate some emails (without user interaction)
by appending content to file ~/.evolution/mail/local/Outbox .

I think there should be a mechanism in Linux whereby when people try and
play around with an applications *private* files there's a big hand that
comes out of the monitor and slaps them about the face and says "Don't
do it".  ( :-) for the humour impaired)

I'm really, really surprised that it hasn't caused you problems in the
past.  Just been lucky I guess.

This works fine until i update evolution to V3.4.4 (now).

I recognized that evolution uses a new mail storage/organization format
after update.

I tried to fix the path to ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/ ..  but it did
not work.

If you don't understand Maildir format, then don't even try to do it.
There are specific requirements for locking regimes with Maildir and if
you don't adhere to them, you're going to get in to trouble.

So can someone tell me if its possible to use evolution this way i
described in newer version ??

Don't try and do it.

And in which file i have to write for appending a new mail.
I have an pop3 email account, if its matters.

There isn't a "file" you can use.

OK. So how do you do it?

Well the "correct" Unix way of doing it is to setup sendmail and use it
correctly to send your mail.

I can see though that it might be convenient to use Evolution for doing
it (in that it provides all the necessary infrastructure and deals with
Sentmail etc.).  But there's not really a mechanism for doing what you
want - Evolution supports the "mailto:"; command, but it pops up a
message editing window and doesn't just send the message (you really
don't want a browser to send a message when you click on a mail link
without you seeing it first!); also Evolution *needs* an X display to be
present for everything it does, even a command line function that
doesn't need a GUI, so it's not really suitable for scripting.

The only reliable way is to use sendmail.  If you need a copy of the
message, then BCC: yourself and within Evolution setup a filter to move
the message to the Sentmail folder.

P.