Re: [Evolution] How to update Evo and deal with Old version?

On Tue, 2013-11-26 at 10:33 +1300, Chris and Tracey wrote:
I've decided to upgrade from 3.4.4 to 3.10 and these are my steps so
far - however unsure next steps

1 - make backup of Evo emails files etc in program
2 - downloaded from Evo site current stable release
3 - saved to Home/chris/evoupdate
4 - In terminal ran command .configure with no other detail - does
this need a file ref??
5 - In terminal ran command sudo make install - no other detail...
password required Y
    Error - *** No rule to make target `install'

Can you see what the problem is and if I'm doing this correctly or
recommend corrections please?

If you are building Evo 3.10 on a system that has Gnome 3.4 installed,
then you are going to have to do a lot more work than just
'./configure ; make ; make install'.

If you are a novice at building applications, which you seem to be, then
it might be that Evolution is not the place to start!  Your best bet is
to find pre-built packages for your operating system - but since you
don't say what that is, it's difficult to help.

If you really want to build Evo yourself, then do a search on the web,
there seems to be quite a few blogs about it.  Ultimately I think you
are going to have to use the jhbuild system to satisfy all the
dependencies.

P.