Re: [Evolution] Migrate from Evolution 2.12 to 2.28 without backup?

On Thu, 2013-05-23 at 15:47 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 11:37 -0400, Bob Fleming wrote:
I recently installed a newer version of Centos after a drive began failing.

Although I have a copy of all files from the old drive, I foolishly did
not go through the Evolution backup process.

Is there a process for restoring configuration and mail folders outside of
the backup/restore process?

Can I just "import" from the old Evolution folders?

The files in 2.12 are held in .evolution so you should be able to just
find the relevant mbox files and import the messages.  What will be a
problem is importing the configuration - I think the configuration was
already held in Gconf for that version so you are going to have to play
around with that to be able to get what you need - it's not for a
novice.

You might try looking a while back on the list archives - there may have
been some discussion about it when RHEL6 / CentOS 6 / SL 6 came out.

It's possible, I once did it, IIRC it might be somewhere in the Ubnutu
Studio or Debian user, but perhaps Arch Linux mailing lists. I can't
remember what I did, but I remember that it was a PITA and I didn't
restore everything, but another user did.

IOW, backup everything and just try it and search the web for
information how to do it.

I can't help, but definitively say, that this is possible.