Re: [Evolution] Getting newer Evo than found in distro (was: About performance)

On Tue, 2013-05-14 at 12:40 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
On Tue, 2013-05-14 at 11:33 -0400, Mark Filipak wrote:
That's a great tip. Idea! = Is there any way to permanently pipe stdout &
stderr (from all sources) to an open terminal window that's not part of the
offending application's execution thread? If so, I would have that window
automatically open when I boot Linux.
stderr messages from applications spawned from your current X11 session
collect in ~/.xsession-errors.
To follow the output you can do something like:

        tail -f ~/.xsession-errors

and maybe pipe that through a "grep evolution" command to filter it.
I think that gets you kinda close to what you're asking.  Maybe a real
sysadmin on this mailing list has a better idea.

That would be me [I am good for something!]

Yes, ~/.xsession-errors is as close as you are going to get. [or it
should be, see below]... but it isn't terribly reliable; what you want
may or may not end up there.  The formatting of the messages is wildly
inconsistent and there is typically a lot of chatter that goes in there.

At least on my boxes ~/.xsession-errors doesn't log much of anything
with GNOME 3.6 or later.  I logged a GNOME bug at some point complaining
that if gnome-shell dies or has spasms it no longer logs anything;
AFAIK nothing has happened with the bug [I don't recall the #].  Could
be my setup or packages, or maybe this is just in general - I don't
know.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383