Re: [Evolution] Getting newer Evo than found in distro (was: About performance)

On Tue, 2013-05-14 at 11:33 -0400, Mark Filipak wrote:
On 2013/5/14 7:50 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
 > If you run the "evolution" command from the command line [gnome-terminal]
 > you may see text error messages upon the uninitiated exit, they may be
 > illuminating as to the reason.   But I did see such behavior *rarely* in
 > some versions of 3.6.x
 > This is generally true for UNIX apps; run them from the command line to see
 > stdout/stderr messags if you feel that something is amiss.
That's a great tip. Idea! = Is there any way to permanently pipe stdout &
stderr (from all sources) to an open terminal window that's not part of the
offending application's execution thread? If so, I would have that window
automatically open when I boot Linux.

Nope, stdout/stderr is directly associated with the execution of the
application.  Every process has a
standard-in/standard-out/standard-error [although they may choose to
close one or any of them].   Windows has this too, but it is rarely used
for anything useful.

Typically the application launcher can be modified to run-in-terminal
that automates this behavior.

<http://dominique.leuenberger.net/blog/2013/04/gnome-3-8-for-opensuse-12-3-go-get-it/>
 >  So it will depend on what distribution you are using,
VMware Player 5.0.2
Host: WinXP3, 32-bit
Guest: Linux Mint 14, 64-bit + Xfce 4.10
I think you're telling me that I'd need to subscribe to something associated
with Linux Mint. Correct?

Yes.

I'll ask at the Mint-user forum. What do I ask for? -
Is there some technical name for this needed subscription?

Generally the term is 'repository' [as in repository of packages].
Anything Ubuntu related will have their own customized obfuscated
terminology that nobody else uses.  I think the current vogue term in
Ubuntu land is "PPA".

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383