Re: [Evolution] Time drifting using Android - Exchange 2010 - Evolution

On 31 May 2013 08:17, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 infradead org> wrote:
On Fri, 2013-05-31 at 06:47 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-05-31 at 10:10 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > > let's call it UTC, not GMT, to have same terminology as in RFC.
> >
> > I sometimes like to use 'GMT' just to reinforce the "GMT does *not*
> > mean UK time" message. :)
>
> <pedantry>
> It's certainly true that GMT is not the same as UK time, but even GMT is
> not really a standard timezone (though it's still used in some
> countries). UTC is the correct term AFAIK.
> </pedantry>

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say that GMT isn't a "standard
timezone". What type of standard do you mean? It is used as the legal
time (or the basis for it) in a number of countries, and is thus in the
timezone database. What more does a timezone need, to be a "standard
timezone"?

Strictly speaking, GMT and UTC are *different* things. They can differ
by up to a second. But that isn't really important. For most practical
purposes, they are interchangeable.

I meant a timezone officially recognized by ISO. I don't question that GMT is a legal designation in several countries. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601#Time_zone_designators.

poc