Re: [Evolution] Replying to spam

On Wed, 2013-07-10 at 10:49 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
Andre, it's better, if we don't reply to spam, to enable easier and more
secure filtering of junk mails.

I think it's not better per se, and I missed the implementation details
of "enabling easier and more secure filtering" here...

It could happen that replying to spam will increase the false rejection
and/or false accept rate.

To be honest I think the level of non-caught spam I get just from
posting to this list (or any public list) far outweighs the noise
associated with replying to spam here! :-)

My apologize, most of the times I'm thinking like you do, but from time
to time I want to add a note. I'm subscribed to many mailing lists and
the discussion about spam indeed is higher, than the amount of received
spams. OTOH false positives from time to time are an issue. I'm
uncertain, if we should or shouldn't talk about spam from time to time,
since such discussions might help to keep the amount of spam low.

It's the same with notes about top posting, HTML, hints to use a search
engine before asking etc..

The amount of spam is low, we perhaps get more unwanted snail mail and
don't talk about it, simply through it away.

Pardon,
Ralf