From: Matthew Barnes <mbarnes redhat com>
To: Jerry Criswell <jcriswell58 gmail com>
Cc: evolution-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Evolution] How to Reduce Trash
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 13:59:28 -0500

On Sat, 2013-01-12 at 11:19 -0600, Jerry Criswell wrote:
> Over the years I have used the trash bin as kind of a holding area
> until I decide I really want to delete something.  I switched to
> Evolution a couple months ago.  I went into trash the other day to get
> rid of some of the items and I find I can't delete individual items
> from trash.  Is there anyway to do this?  Do I need to uncheck a box
> somewhere?

Evolution follows the IMAP model of message deletion.  When you click a
"Delete Message" menu item or press the Delete key in the message list,
the message is actually just tagged for eventual deletion on the next
folder expunge.  You can see this more clearly by selecting Folder ->
Show Deleted Messages.

Trash is a virtual folder showing messages in your account that have
been marked for deletion.

Tagging messages for deletion in a folder showing only messages that
have already been marked for deletion obviously has no effect.

See also:
http://library.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-delete-and-undelete.html.en

Matthew Barnes