Re: [Evolution] Fast way to empty trash?

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 15:06:46 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan <poc usb ve> wrote:
On Fri, 2013-02-22 at 19:04 +0000, Ben Holness wrote:
Hi,

I have an evolution install (3.2.3) with about 200,000 messages in the
trash.

When I hit empty trash, it starts working and at the bottom (where you
get
the "generating list" and "sending message" information boxes), it
starts
showing that it is "Retrieving message '[message id]' in inbox"

Each one of these lasts around a second before the next one is shown.

By my calculations, it will take two and a half days to get through them
all and I don't even know if it is emptying them or just preparing and
then
it has more to do.

Is there a quick way to empty the trash, or a way to empty a few
messages
at a time?

Since you don't say where the Trash is (IMAP server, local mbox, local
Maildir, Exchange, ...) there's no way to give a sensible answer to that
question. That's because trash is handled differently on different
scenarios, e.g. on an IMAP server there is no Trash folder (it's a
virtual folder) so emptying it means the server has to visit all the
folders with messages marked for deletion and expunge them.

Also: don't forget to say what version of Evo you have (Help->About).

I think it's local Maildir (if I look in
~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local I see cur, new and tmp folders). Evo
Version 3.2.3 (as I said above ;) ). I am running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and it's
what was installed when I apt-get installed it.