[Evolution] Failure to bring incoming mail from /var/spool/mail to user's Inbox

For as long as I can recall, all local users on my server would, on
launching evolution, have any incoming mail in their /var/spool/mail/
queue transferred to their Inbox. The user would also receive notice on
their desk top of the presence of incoming mail.

For the record: we are running Fedora 18 with evolution 3.6.3.

In setting up users, the Receiving Options are for local mail handling
and the file path is given as /var/spool/mail/[username]. Fedora 18 wqs
a fresh install replacing f17, but evolution files for users were
unchanged because /home/ is preserved through system rebuilds.

It is now necessary for each user to trigger [Receive/Send] in his
Evolution display to explicitly download any queued mail. That is also
true while evolution remains open. Once the mail arrives in the Inbox,
the system advises of the presence of mail, but that is kind of
redundant in the present situation.

Going over our instructions to users and our Configuration Guide for the
past few years, these instructions have remained consistent, with one
exception. The Receiving Option used to have a line allowing the setting
of the frequency of mail checking (the default was 10 minutes) and the
documentation warned that failing to provide a time value, the mail
queue would not be activated.

The problem for us is the current Receiving Option does not provide for
this setting so I'm assuming that is a good part of the problem. (I did
set up a temporary new user with evolution and it functions in the same
way as 'older' users.)

I did register a Bug with Fedora/Red Hat, #910252, but experience has
told me I need to have a work around to solve this in a reasonably
timely manner. Could someone suggest some way in which I could provide
this missing time variable, or otherwise get my applications people off
my back?

If I can provide any further information, I'll be glad to do that.

George

--
Phronesis - or practical wisdom - "is the ability to figure out what to
do, while at the same time knowing what is worth doing".    -  Eric