Re: [Evolution] Emails disappearing

Carpetnailz wrote:
When I try to open certain emails, "formatting message" flashes briefly
and then nothing. It seems to be ones that came during a certain time
period. It doesn't seem to be happening now.

When I view "All message headers" these show "X-evolution-source:local".

What kind of account is it? (local/POP/IMAP/mbox/maildir...)

It's also not clear what is happening. You see the entry but then there's no body?
What's shown when you view the mail source?

What could cause this to happen? I'm wondering if somehow the download
got interrupted and the messages are lost in cyber-space. But why would
the sender, recipient, subject and time info be there but nothing else?
Especially since it's for about 4 or 5 emails. If the download were
interrupted why would there be empty info on that many emails?

Is there any way to recover the content?

Thanks.

An interrupted download could cause it. The sender, recipient, subject,
time and some other headers come before the email body, so it's possible
they downloaded but the body didn't (although it's strange all headers
were there but nothing on the body, even less so for several mails).

Another option is that the email was sent without contents.

However, if an email delivery is interrupted, the protocols are designed
so that no messages are lost in the cyber-space. An error at the wrong
time would end you with duplicated mails, not with missed ones (a much
safer choice :) ). [Or if delivery was impossible for several days, it
should be returned to the sender]

Although we couldn't discard the possibility that a bug in evolution
really lost them.

Do the several affected mail look like copies of the same message or
from different ones? Do you have another, correct, instance of those?

Can you read the file contents where they are stored? Are the emails
complete or incomplete?