[Evolution] Evolution filters and outgoing mail

I'm running evo 3.4.4, which is the latest version for my Fedora 17
distribution.

I have various filters set up, to redirect mail into other folders.
These include filters on outgoing mail.

What puzzles me is that outgoing mail that isn't caught by a filter
doesn't end up in my Sent folder - or anywhere else that I can see. In
the preferences the Sent folder is the one nominated for sent messages.

I'd be very grateful for any words of advice on how I can retain copies
of outgoing messages. And yes, I did try the Fine Manual but without
success.
--
John Foster