Re: [Evolution] downgrade, fetch mail, upgrade --> mail gets deleted

Am Dienstag, den 02.04.2013, 07:12 -0400 schrieb Adam Tauno Williams:
On Tue, 2013-04-02 at 05:57 +0200, ChO₂ wrote:
Hello everybody,
I just ran into the following issue:
I downgraded from evolution 3.4.4-2 to 2.30.3-5. As a result, all of my
mails, my filter rules and the content of my signatures were gone.

Expected.

I wasn't worried at this point because I was sure that moving back to
3.4.4-2 would bring my mail back. Before I did that, I went to fetching
new mail and reading it.
When I finally upgraded to v3, my old mail actually reappeared - but now
the mail that I had fetched using v2 was gone. And this time, "gone"
means deleted, not invisible.
Fortunately, I had somehow sensed that something like this might happen
so I had made a backup to restore and import the lost messages from.

Yea, you now have two versions lying about.  The automatic-upgrade can't
have any idea what to do with that;  it can't merge the bits you
accumulated in your old 2.x data into what remains of your 3.4 data - it
already did the 2.x -> 3.4 upgrade and then YOU went back and added more
bits to the 2.x data.

Evolution did not delete anything.

For me, everything went well, but WHY does evolution delete my messages?

Evolution did not delete your messages, you did.  Or you at least made
them 'unfindable'.

You can possibly import the MBox files from the 2.x folders into 3.4 -
they should still be there, I assume;  I can't see any reason that
wouldn't work, it will just be a manual process.  But Evolution did not
delete anything.  You just need to find the 2.x MBox files,  2.x is a
very long time ago and I can't remember where they were [ ~/.evolution
maybe? ].  But Evolution did not delete anything.

I'd also have a brief look at local/share/evolution/mail