Re: [Evolution] Evo mail: explanation of old and new file system

On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 09:38 -0400, carpetnailz researchintegration org
wrote:
-When I copied the .evolution folder, it did not have any of my emails
or calendar entries from the two weeks I was trying to use Ubuntu 11.04.
Apparently with Ubuntu 11.04 Evolution had started to use the new
location, but there was no indication of this anywhere.

There is a migration dialog when you start it for the first time after
upgrading (and you are offered to import a backup file at the first
run).

It's all well and good to say, "There isn't in the user docs because
it's nothing that a user should need to care about. It should be all
automatically."  But the user does need to care about it since he has to
fix the problem. And he has to understand what's happening.

If the user needlessly shot him/herself in the foot by tinkering with
hidden folders (hidden. for a reason.) instead of using Evolution's
Backup/Restore functionality, then user documentation won't stop him/her
either. A support channel (like this mailing list) is more helpful for
such specific situations.

andre
--
mailto:ak-47 gmx net | failed