Re: [Evolution] Running evolution-3.2.2 outside of the gnome desktop?

On 01/26/2012 04:38 PM, Thomas Prost wrote:
Am Dienstag, den 24.01.2012, 15:51 -0800 schrieb walt:

My reply explained that setting my xfce desktop 'theme' to the same
one my gnome3 setup is using actually fixed the evolution problem.

A desktop theme can cause evolution problems ???

I don't know if anyone else would have the same problem, but here is
a very brief description of my chaos :)

I've been using evolution since about 2009.  I know that because I now
have even newer problems that I'm trying to solve, and I'm finding files
and subdirectories in my .local/share/evolution/ that are dated 2009.

I don't know yet if these old files are the cause of any problems but I
would not be surprised.  Evolution has been updated many times since 2009,
including big changes in where configuration and cache files are stored.
(Look at the recent questions in this list about data files.)

You can see from my original post that the error messages are (to most
of us) cryptic, but Pete's diagnosis turned out to be correct:  my startup
problem was caused because evolution was looking in wrong places for some
essential icon files.  Apparently those icons are part of various desktop
'themes', and my xfce4 default theme was supplying wrong locations for the
evolution icon directories until I gave xfce4 the same theme that evolution
was using in my gnome environment.  (Don't ask me details ;)

My amateur opinion is that missing icon files should *not* be a terminal
error.  But OTOH I'm not a developer.

BTW, I'm now subscribed to this list.  We'll see if this post to gmane is
accepted without moderator approval...