Re: [Evolution] Where does evolution store its files?

On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 07:26 -0600, Michael Hennebry wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012, Patryk Benderz wrote:
[cut]
When I do the backup, I'll be user 500.
When I do the restore, I'll be user 1000.
Is there a problem with that?
It is a tar archive. Can't you just unpack it, change files ownership to
1000.1000 and pack back again?
Until just now, I didn't know that it was a tar archive.
I was going by this:
http://library.gnome.org/users/evolution/3.2/backup-restore.html.en
If it's just one tar file,
I can change permissions on the tar file.
A user program really can't do much with the owner informaton in a tar file.

False, it can do anything.  If you are extracting with the tar command
just use the --no-same-owner and/or --no-same-permissions options.  A
program unpacking a tar file [using something like the Python tarfile
module, or whatever] can do anything with the stream and the objects it
creates.

--
System & Network Administrator [ LPI & NCLA ]
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>