Re: [Evolution] Evolution and Midori web browser: Links not opened in running instance

On Sat, 2012-01-21 at 11:26 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
I wonder if it's possible that something got confused and there are two
versions of the browser on your system.  If you do 'which midori' and
'gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http' does it come up with
the same location for the browser on both?

GConf is no longer used for URL handlers in GNOME 3.

Choosing a preferred web browser copies the browser's .desktop file
(/usr/share/applications/midori.desktop in this case, I assume) to:

   ~/.local/share/applications/preferred-web-browser.desktop

The .desktop file holds the execute command.  Probably something like:

   Exec=midori %U

Also, a useful command-line test when Evolution doesn't appear to be
opening URLs or attachments properly is:

   gvfs-open http://www.example.org/

or

   gvfs-open /path/to/saved/attachment.pdf

This is essentially all Evolution does through a library call, and what
happens next is out of its control.  So this test will isolate whether
the misbehavior is Evolution-specific or your desktop configuration.

Hope this helps,
Matthew Barnes