Re: [Evolution] Evolution and Midori web browser: Links not opened in running instance

Am Samstag, den 21.01.2012, 10:48 +0000 schrieb Pete Biggs:
using Debian Sid/unstable with GNOME 3, Evolution 3.2.2 and Midori 0.4.3
having an instance of Midori running and clicking on a link/URL in a
message in Evolution, the URL is not opened in a new tab as it used to
but Midori is started again as a new separate program (new PID).

Midori is set up as my default browser in the GNOME settings.

This used to work and I think that switching from GNOME Classic to GNOME
3 is the reason. Also I have no idea what to look for to find the cause
for this behavior.

The URL handler that Evolution uses is set as part of Gnome Preferences
and you've already said that it is set correctly.  Beyond that Evolution
doesn't know how to do anything.  I have a feeling that this is
behaviour that is set in the browser itself.

Good to know.

In Midori go to Preferences -> Browsing and make sure the "Open new
pages in:" is set to "New tab".

I checked that setting and it is set to ÂNew TabÂ.

A second test I did now was to enter `midori http://example.org/` in the
terminal and in that case with an instance of Midori running a new tab
was opened in the running instance.

The last test was to open an URL from another GNOME program like GNOME
Terminal. This showed the same behavior as Evolution and therefore this
looks like a general GNOME issue.

Thanks for your quick response with suggestions,

Paul