Re: [Evolution] Error when restoring backup in Evolution

Hello,

Now I have Evolution 2.30.3. The backup was made in Evolution 3.2.2, so I
guess I have a problem. Now I have to figure out which folders I need to
move.

I believe you will find your emails in your tar.gz file in
.local/share/evolution/mail/local/

You should be able to copy them in your .evolution folder (you will
need to figure out the exact path, but it should be something like
.evolution/mail/local/). This should work because I was doing
something similar to keep 2 computers in sync. Things you may want to
keep in mind:
- evolution 3 uses maildir format for emails. I cannot remember when
the switch from mbox to maildir was made. If it was before 2.30.x you
should be ok, otherwise make sure you create an account which stores
emails in maildir format (I think this is possible) and store your
emails there instead of the default mailbox
- if everything goes fine, you may still click on a folder and not see
the emails. This should be ok. Click on another folder and then go
back to the first one. The emails should appear.

Good luck,

HTH,

Constantin

Thanks for your time

________________________________

Hello,

I've just downgraded from debian wheezy to squeeze and I have a problem
restoring my evolution backup. I created the evolution-backup-date.tar.gz
using the backup option in File menu and now that I try to restore it I
get
a message "Invalid backup file". I've tried moving the backup file in home
directory and changed its name to evolution-backup.tar.gz as is suggested
in
many walkarounds, but with no luck. Also, I had plenty of free disk space
when I created the backup file so I don't think it is corrupted somehow. I
guess it is an issue of combatibility between different versions of
evolution, but is there any way to manually move my accounts, mails and
addresses into .evolution folder? I've made a try, but the structure of
the
backup file is a little different from .evolution folder so I didn't have
any success in that either...

I don't know what versions of evolutions you have, but from what I
know downgrading is unlikely to work. You talk about .evolution
directory. This means that you are trying to downgrade to a rather old
version. Newer versions (which are not that new anymore, I think from
2.32) use a different directory structure than previous versions
(stored in .local/share/evolution). If you try to downgrade from 2.32
or newer you will have problems for sure.

You can still restore the local emails from the backup, but I am not
sure about the settings.

Regards,

Constantin