Re: [Evolution] Error when restoring backup in Evolution

Now I have Evolution 2.30.3. The backup was made in Evolution 3.2.2, so I guess I have a problem. Now I have to figure out which folders I need to move.

Thanks for your time

Hello,

> I've just downgraded from debian wheezy to squeeze and I have a problem
> restoring my evolution backup. I created the evolution-backup-date.tar.gz
> using the backup option in File menu and now that I try to restore it I get
> a message "Invalid backup file". I've tried moving the backup file in home
> directory and changed its name to evolution-backup.tar.gz as is suggested in
> many walkarounds, but with no luck. Also, I had plenty of free disk space
> when I created the backup file so I don't think it is corrupted somehow. I
> guess it is an issue of combatibility between different versions of
> evolution, but is there any way to manually move my accounts, mails and
> addresses into .evolution folder? I've made a try, but the structure of the
> backup file is a little different from .evolution folder so I didn't have
> any success in that either...

I don't know what versions of evolutions you have, but from what I
know downgrading is unlikely to work. You talk about .evolution
directory. This means that you are trying to downgrade to a rather old
version. Newer versions (which are not that new anymore, I think from
2.32) use a different directory structure than previous versions
(stored in .local/share/evolution). If you try to downgrade from 2.32
or newer you will have problems for sure.

You can still restore the local emails from the backup, but I am not
sure about the settings.

Regards,

Constantin