Re: [Evolution] Evolution calendar dreadfully slow

On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 14:12 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 07:38 -0400, carpetnailz wrote:
I'm just using the "local" calendar, which I brought over from my old
computer's Evolution 2.28.3. I copied the ~/.local/share/evolution
folder from my rdiff-backup.

      Hi,
local calendars are usually fine, their most weak point is with many
events or many recurring events. Do you have many of either type?
With "may" I mean thousands of events in the calendar.
My calendar.ics is 6.2 MB and the calendar.ics-beagle* is 4.5 MB. Are
these too big?

Should I "archive" these (or maybe just the earliest years) and start a
new calendar? If so, how would I archive so I can access the data when
needed and how would I start a new calendar?

Thanks.

I would also try to get what the evolution does in time when it doesn't
respond (I expect Evolution being unresponsive during those delays). You
can get backtrace of running evolution with a command like this:
   $ gdb --batch --ex "t a a bt" -pid=PID &>bt.txt
where PID is a process ID of running evolution. Only make sure you've
installed debug info packages for evolution-data-server and evolution.

Where would I look to see if these are installed?

You can also try to run e-calendar-factory from a console and see it's
output. It's located in /usr/libexec and only one can be running in a
time, thus make sure the previous instance is closed before you run the
new one. After you've it "up and running" run evolution itself.
      Bye,
      Milan