Re: [Evolution] Evolution calendar dreadfully slow

On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 09:33 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
On Tue, 2011-09-27 at 21:24 -0400, carpetnailz wrote:
I've just installed Fedora 15 and am having a lot of trouble with
Calendar running dreadfully slow. I'm running Evolution 3.0.3 that comes
with Fedora 15. I never had this before with earlier versions of
Evolution. If I start Evolution, then click Calendar as soon as it
opens, then click new appointment, it will take about 50 seconds all
told. If I'm in Mail having been to Calendar before and then go to
Calendar, it opens fairly quickly, but then can take 10 seconds or so
after I click to open a new appointment. If I'm in Calendar and click to
go to another date it can take 18 seconds to get there, and then another
12 seconds or so to get back to 'today'.

      Hi,
it can be related to calendars you have configured. What calendar types
do you have configured, please? (CalDAV, local (On This Computer), any
exchange, webcal, ...) Does anything change if you disable some of
remote calendars? Is there anything on the console when you run
evolution from a terminal, some kind of timeout error message or any
runtime warnings?
      Bye,
      Milan

I'm just using the "local" calendar, which I brought over from my old
computer's Evolution 2.28.3. I copied the ~/.local/share/evolution
folder from my rdiff-backup. I think Evolution did something to upgrade
the mail contents, but I don't think it did anything to the old
calendar. So my guess is that, except for having been moved from
~/.evolution to the new location, the calendar is the same I was using
previously. (Between the 10.04 version on my old computer I tried Ubuntu
11.04 on the new box but switched to Fedora 15 because of some problems
I was having. So the rdiff-backup was from the Ubuntu 11.04. I don't
think Evolution had done anything to change the format of the mail file
while I was using that installation.)

Checking from the command line gave the following.
[eric localhost ~]$ evolution --force-shutdown
Evolution process exited normally
[eric localhost ~]$ evolution
Migrating cached data
Migrating config data
Migrating local user data
  rmdir /home/eric/.evolution/tasks
  FAILED: Directory not empty (contents follows)
          tasks
^C
[I removed /home/eric/.evolution/tasks and subdirectories]

Then:

[eric localhost ~]$ evolution &
[1] 7371

This hasn't improved the speed of the calendar.

Thanks.