Re: [Evolution] Problems with message filtering and automatic expunging

Quoting Patrick O'Callaghan <poc usb ve>:

On Fri, 2011-11-25 at 11:10 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Fri, 2011-11-25 at 11:07 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On 25 November 2011 09:52, Adam Tauno Williams
> <awilliam whitemice org> wrote:
> >I don't think MOVE is the same as DELETE (although they might be the
> >same in IMAP protocol terms) - most clients for a MOVE will do a COPY
> >+ EXPUNGE {id}.  So the message will not appear in the source folder
> >as deleted, it will just be gone.
> Actually Evo uses MOVE+DELETE. Deleted messages remain in place until
> expunged, but note that the IMAP EXPUNGE command operates on the
> entire folder, i.e. there is no such thing as EXPUNGE{id}. This is
> where most other MUAs get it wrong IMHO.
That is incorrect.  If the IMAP server advertises the UIDPLUS extensions
[and, AFAIK, virtually all modern IMAP servers do;  Cyrus does,
Groupwise does] then the client can request to expunge only specific
messages [by message UID, if I recall correctly].
In fact it's UID EXPUNGE, not EXPUNGE, so pedantically speaking you were
wrong and I was incomplete :-).

Darn!  I owe you a beer.