[Evolution] Restore a backup from Evo 3.0 to Evo 2.3

Hi, please cc me on replies

After trying out Gnome 3 and Evo 3 on Fedora 15 I've gone back to
Gnome 2 and Evo 2 on Debian Squeeze. Should get a couple more years
out of it there and hopefully things will be a bit better next time I
try it. Anyway, did a backup and tried to restore, but I gather some
important things have changed, as the restore option didn't work, and
I can't import the emails either.

How can I get the emails that are backed up and stored under the 'cur'
folder, into Evo 2.3 which doesn't seem to have a cur folder?

My best guess is maybe install thunderbird, import them into that,
then export them into a format that evo 2.3 can read? Assistance
greatly appreciated.