Re: [Evolution] [ANNOUNCE] Evolution-EWS (Exchange Web Services) Alpha release

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 11:42 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
I'm sure you know this, but there is no "move" operation in IMAP - so a
move is implemented as a "copy" and "mark as deleted".  For what you are
suggesting to work, then you need to end up the sequence with a "purge
folder" so that the deleted message disappears from the folder.  It's
this last operation that is problematic in some instances - it's an
expensive process on some servers (i.e. those with large MBOX format
files) - doing a folder purge everytime you press the delete button is
not very friendly.

This is an issue with using the IMAP protocol to implement the 'real
trash folder', you are absolutely right. But it's an issue that we have
to deal with *wherever* we implement the 'conversion' from flag-setting
to message-moving.

I haven't looked at exactly how this *is* handled in the IMAP code. Does
it actually issue the EXPUNGE, or just rely on the fact that the user is
running with the 'hide deleted messages' option set? Either way, this is
not a *new* issue.

I understand that the delete behaviour would be configurable - but is
the re-write of Evo internals worth it just so that Exchange users are
not inconvenienced by having to learn a new way of working?

I think you misunderstand. This "real trash folder" feature request has
been around for a long time; it isn't something that's being suggested
purely for the benefit of the EWS back end.

I'm just saying that I haven't paid much attention to the deletion
handing in EWS yet, because once the 'real trash folder' support is done
*generically* in Camel, we should be able to use it.

--
dwmw2