Re: [Evolution] Evo-mail - too many files issue

On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 21:27 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 12:00 +1100, Nick Jenkins wrote:
FWIW, it was meaningful enough to me. The word 'Ubuntu' means that
he's using a version of Evolution that is *so* old that I cannot be
persuaded to care about it.
Given that we all seem to agree that Ubuntu are doofuses

Yep

10.10/Oct 2010 and onwards,

Well, this will be kinda-sorta solved, for some definition of "solved",
in next month's release (11.04), where the entire Gnome stack including
Evolution will be synced up at 2.32.  Ubuntu won't go with Gnome 3 until
this fall's release (11.10).

There will be a repository containing a complete Gnome 3, including Evo,
for those who want to try it out.

I have to ask: Would there be any merit in
an upstream repository of pre-built Evo packages?

Sure.  Build it!  :)

Already done.  I've been using this from Thomas Novin <thomas xyz pp se>
and it works great and is well-maintained (there was an update just a
few days ago for example); it contains Evo 2.32 and necessary libs etc.:

    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:konstigt/evolution

Now just update and upgrade normally (either via apt-get, aptitude, or
synaptic for those who like a GUI).

But one big reason that people are
reluctant to upgrade is that it's a hassle and typically involves
upgrading everything on the system, which in turn will probably break
other things -

Evo definitely requires a lot of things to be updated.  Just check the
list of packages in that PPA.  Some of those things could be considered
worrisome as they are lower-level libraries.  But in fact things seem to
work OK.

* Is it even technically possible to just upgrade Evo, or does the whole
gnome desktop need to be upgraded?

Evo typically tries very hard to work with the current Gnome as well as
the previous Gnome version.

For Ubuntu, the 10.10 version ships with the latest Gnome libraries
(2.32) and infrastructure, all _except_ Evolution.  So updating
Evolution to 2.32 as well is really just aligning all the applications
the way they should be, not upgrading Evo to be newer than the rest of
the system.

(Installing Evo 2.32 on an older release, like Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, is
another matter entirely).