Re: [Evolution] Evo-mail - too many files issue

On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 12:00 +1100, Nick Jenkins wrote:
FWIW, it was meaningful enough to me. The word 'Ubuntu' means that
he's using a version of Evolution that is *so* old that I cannot be
persuaded to care about it.
Given that we all seem to agree that Ubuntu are doofuses

Yep

10.10/Oct 2010 and onwards, I have to ask: Would there be any merit in
an upstream repository of pre-built Evo packages?

Sure.  Build it!  :)

There might be a [what do Ubuntu people call it...?] a "PPA" (?) for a
current version somewhere.

there could be automated builds of Evo, for each of the current stable/
previous stable/current dev or head or unstable trees, to produce a .rpm
& .deb, for amd64 and x86-32 bit architectures (so 3 trees x 2 package
manager formats x 2 architectures = 12 automated builds a night).

OBS can do this.  Someone 'just' has to maintain the package specs.
<https://build.opensuse.org/>

* Upgrading wouldn't be such a big deal. I'd estimate that maybe a third
of email threads in response to end user problems on this list at some
point will contain a "that's an old version, you need to upgrade" type
of response, irrelevant of distro. But one big reason that people are
reluctant to upgrade is that it's a hassle and typically involves
upgrading everything on the system, which in turn will probably break
other things -

This may be perception, but I don't believe that it is true.  Generally
staying current *avoids* problems.  I update openSUSE greedily,  each
edition resolves issues.

* More users could track the latest development version.

openSUSE provides Factory for this - but there-be-dragons.  Getting
ahead of QC isn't a way to avoid problems.

But I don't know if such a thing is even feasible. For example:
* It seems a massive ask of the already very busy developers to set
something like this up. It looks like there is already some continuous
building going on (see http://live.gnome.org/BuildBrigade/ and
http://build.gnome.org/evolution ), but the aim doesn't seem to be to
produce end-user installable .deb and .rpm packages, which would have to
be an extra workload, so it may not be practical.

OBS provides this.

* Is it even technically possible to just upgrade Evo, or does the whole
gnome desktop need to be upgraded?

That's a good question.