Re: [Evolution] calendar won't load after upgrade

On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 16:52 -0700, John Stile wrote:
After my last gentoo update (gnome-2.32.1 updated)
when I launch evolution everything is fine, and I can see email and
contacts, yet when I click on the calendar, I get errors.
~/.xsession-errors shows:

(evolution:28217): libecal-DEBUG: e-cal.c:452: ECal GDBus connection is closed, remote peer vanished

        Hi,
that means the e-calendar-factory process crashed for some reason.
Install debug info packages for evolution-data-server and run the
e-calendar-factory from the console, under gdb, and get the backtrace,
to see, what was going wrong. You can do that like this:
  $ gdb /usr/libexec/e-calendar-factory --ex r --ex "t a a bt" --ex q
then run evolution from another console.

I would try, on the first look, to check whether your calendar.ics
file(s) contain only UTF8 letters. For cases where these files contained
letters in a different character encoding/code page the DBus itself (or
more precisely GVariant's) check for UTF8 strings failed and crashed the
application later. This is fixed in actual stable, which is 3.0.x. The
previous Bonobo was more forgiving for these cases.
        Bye,
        Milan