[Evolution] What is a .ics file?

Barnes and Noble's website advertised certain events, and when I clicked on
"add to Calendar" in the webiste entry in firefox, it brought up a .ics file
which I had the choice of opening in evolution.   I said it was a
VCS/ICS calendar.  When I told it to open the file, I got an Evolution Import Assistant,
which was entitled Import Data - Icalendar files (.ics).  I then clicked Forward which
opened a window entitled Import Location,  I could specify either Appointments and
Meetings or Tasks.  I specified the former.  I could also choose between On This
Computer of Contacts, and again I chose the former, and clicked Forward.  The sequence of
windows  then sopped, but  I couldn't find any evidence of the item in my Evolution
Calendar, or anywhere else in Evolution.

Can anyone explain what was supposed to happen?

--
Leonard Evens len math northwestern edu
Professor Emeritus, Department of Mathematics, Northwestern University