[Evolution] MS Exchange Server

Hi :)
Newbie here!  At work there is a Lan with an MS Exchange Server.  I don't know how to look-up which version.  I can ping the ip but couldn't telnet in.  I haven't really any idea what those words mean i was just trying to work through a blog.  I have found the documentation at
http://library.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/exchange-configure.html.en
http://library.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/usage-mainwindow-starting.html.en
But i have no idea about networking, Active Directories, imap vs pop3&smtp (is the exchange server doing both at the same time??)

Please, if anyone knows good documentation then feel free to give me a link and rtfm at me.
Thanks and regards from
Tom :)