Re: [Evolution] Restoring from a backup

Am Donnerstag, den 21.07.2011, 10:41 +0200 schrieb Thomas Mittelstaedt:
Am Dienstag, den 19.07.2011, 17:21 -0700 schrieb SVWanderer:
HELP! I need to restore Evolution Mail. I have installed Ubuntu 11.04 and it
failed to work correctly on my laptop. I was forced to reinstall Ubuntu
10.04 LTS. The version I am using in Ubuntu LTS is Evolution 2.28.3. I have
no idea what the version number of the Evolution Mail in Ubuntu 11.04.
Anyway I need to restore my backup. I have searched and searched for
information on how to do it and come up with nothing. I have restored
Evolution Mail many times when upgrading or transferring my mail to another
computer. Now I am on the road and without access to my other computers.
Does anyone know how I can use evolution-backup.tar.gz to restore my backup.
Oh each time I try I get an error saying the wrong file type. Opening the
tar I can see that it is a good file. Can anyone help me?!?!?

The evolution version in ubuntu 11.04 (natty) is 2.32. Somebody has
provided some backports of this version to 10.04 (lucid). See:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/maverick-backports/+bug/653619/comments/42

Or even better. Use the cookbook instructions at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebootstrapChroot to create a natty (11.04)
chroot jail within your lucid box. Install the regular evolution inside
the jail. You need to be somewhat literate regarding basic system
administration, shell usage on linux, though. If not, you may know
somebody with such skills to help you.

--
thomas