Re: [Evolution] Restoring from a backup

On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 17:21 -0700, SVWanderer wrote:
HELP! I need to restore Evolution Mail. I have installed Ubuntu 11.04 and it
failed to work correctly on my laptop. I was forced to reinstall Ubuntu
10.04 LTS. The version I am using in Ubuntu LTS is Evolution 2.28.3. I have
no idea what the version number of the Evolution Mail in Ubuntu 11.04.
Anyway I need to restore my backup. I have searched and searched for
information on how to do it and come up with nothing. I have restored
Evolution Mail many times when upgrading or transferring my mail to another
computer. Now I am on the road and without access to my other computers.
Does anyone know how I can use evolution-backup.tar.gz to restore my backup.
Oh each time I try I get an error saying the wrong file type. Opening the
tar I can see that it is a good file. Can anyone help me?!?!?

If you made the backup with the later version of Ubuntu, and hence a
later version of Evolution, then it is unlikely to work since there is
no downgrade path.  The important thing is that there were significant
folder structure changes between 2.28 and 2.32 (which is what I seem to
remember people saying was in Ubuntu 11.04 - I don't know, I don't use
it).  Specifically, Evolution's data store changed from being
under .evolution to .local/share/evolution (as per Gnome standards).

It is likely that your data is in the file, but it's not going to be
immediately accessible - if you are desperate you are going to have to
untar the file into a temporary folder, recreate the accounts manually
in Evo, and then import all the data by hand.

P.