Re: [Evolution] Conversion failure, Datastructure mess, Crashes

Thanks very much for your quick reply.

On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 11:33 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 08:58 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
I have just upgraded from Fedora-13 to Fedora-15, which uses a maildir
format rather than the mbox format previously used.

Yet again: telling people the version of the OS is not helpful. You need
to mention the version of Evolution. Since I also use Fedora, I happen
to know that it's 3.0.x, but not everyone on the list will know that.

Of course, foolish of me.  The version is 3.0.2

Evolution crashed
in the conversion process, leaving me in a mixed state with a few of the
maildir folders, which are (I think) in
    ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/cur
and most of the remaining data structure in mbox form in various files in
    ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local_mbox

Did it say anything when it crashed? Is there anything
in /var/log/messages? Did abrt intervene (since this is Fedora)?

I don't remember it saying anything.  The crash was on July 2d.
Unfortunately all the records have been lost in a subsequent reinstall.
I performed an upgrade, which seemed to work, but left the yum database
and the programs actually installed in an inconsistent state, which made
it impossible to install updates in the usual way.  This forced me to
perform a complete reinstall (except for /home, of course.)  Abrt,
messages, whatever earlier than July 3d are no longer on the system.

Since I've been using evolution about 4 days since the upgrade, some of
my messages are in one format, and some in the other, and some in both.

Also, Evolution now crashes whenever it has to file a message I have
sent in a folder other than "Sent", probably because there is no folder
available of the right kind.

A bug in the version of Evo 3 distributed with Fedora 15 (now corrected
in updates) means you have to explicitly select your Sent, Drafts etc.
folders the first time. However the symptom is not a crash but an error
message. Which is it?

Do you know the version of the buggy system, the version of the
corrected one? (8-).

You can import mbox files into Evo, so that might be a way of unifying
your mailboxes.

How can I avoid duplicate instances of the same message?

Thanks again - jon